The very first thing you need to focus on after a car accident is seeking medical attention. Even when you feel fine, it is vital that you see a doctor because some injuries may not show until a few hours or days after the incident. Other than helping you get on top of your general health, timely medical examinations will help increase the chances of a better outcome in your Florida personal injury case. Our West Palm Beach car accident lawyers explain why and what type of doctor you should see after a car accident.
Why you need to see a doctor immediately after an accident
Your health should be your most significant motivation for seeking medical help after an accident. However, seeking medical attention is crucial for legal reasons as well:
- Medical records are used as evidence – In a car accident injury claim or lawsuit, the medical records you obtain will act as evidence in your car accident injury case. These records outline and define the nature of your injuries, diagnosis, prescriptions, specialist referrals, and your future prognosis.
- The cost of medical treatment impacts your compensation – One of the significant factors affecting the amount of compensation is the cost of treatment. Your doctor can predict the long-term effect of your injuries, which will help your experienced team of West Palm Beach car accident lawyers in negotiating fair compensation.
- Seeing a doctor immediately links your injuries to the accident – Seeking medical help immediately after an accident helps link your injuries to the accident even when symptoms were invisible. When you delay in seeking medical attention, the opposing side may argue that your injuries were not accident-related.
- Following up on medical treatment strengthens your case – Failing to follow up on medical treatment can negatively impact your case. Whether you miss appointments, fail to fill prescriptions, or skip therapy sessions, the opposing side can use this to devalue your Florida personal injury claim. They may argue that your failure to follow up on medical treatment was among the contributing factors that made your car accident injury worse.
So, what type of doctor should you see after a car accident?
After an accident, most car crash victims find themselves under the care of an emergency care doctor because the resulting injuries often require immediate medical attention. When the injuries are not life-threatening, however, going to the emergency room may not be necessary.
In such instances, you need to see your primary care doctor for treatment and follow-up. Because not all primary care physicians cover car accident injuries, your doctor may refer you to another medical specialist such as a surgeon, neurologist, or psychiatrist. This also happens when your doctor does not want to get involved with testifying in court.
In other cases, your lawyer could refer you to a doctor. This, in most instances, will happen when you are having trouble finding a doctor, or you don’t have medical insurance. Consult with the team of experienced West Palm Beach car accident lawyers at Fetterman & Associates, PA. for help finding a doctor familiar with treating car injury victims.
What to share with your doctor after a car accident?
It’s common for car crash victims to see a doctor and not to tell their full story. Besides causing prolonged, potentially life-threatening injuries and ailments, making this mistake could cost you substantial financial compensation in the course of a Florida personal injury claim. Here are some of important things to discusswith your doctor after a car accident:
- Disclose your health history – It is important to disclose every detail of your health with your doctor, which should include past injuries, your medical history, and your family medical history.
- Describe how you got hurt in the accident – Instead of describing only how you feel, describe what happened and how you got hurt, if you remember all that. You could start by explaining where you were, how the car was hit, and then proceed to how you feel.
- What future treatment or outcome should you expect – Some injuries may take time to heal. You should seek to know whether you should expect new medical directions such as surgeries, therapies, or prescriptions. Your doctor should also inform you of all possible outcomes of your injury, including permanent disabilities and any form of reduced functionality. This will help your team of West Palm Beach car accident lawyers in negotiating fair compensation for your injuries.
- Whether you can go to work or not – Ensure that you understand your work limitations after an accident. You will want to understand from your doctor what nature of work you could perform or whether to abstain from work altogether.
Our West Palm Beach car accident lawyers can help you find the right doctor
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Florida, Fetterman & Associates, P.A. can help you find the right doctor to treat your injuries. For over 40 years, our skilled West Palm Beach car accident lawyers have been fighting for the rights of Florida car accident victims to get them on the path to recovery, physically and financially. Contact us online or give us a call today 561-845-2510 to schedule your free consultation.