Ridesharing apps are extremely popular today. In fact, millions of people in the West Palm Beach area use these services, such as Lyft, every day. Also, since this area is a hot spot for tourists, Lyft drivers are busier than ever before. Unfortunately, just because someone works for Lyft doesn’t mean they are safer or less prone to accidents. If you are involved in an accident in West Palm Beach while in a Lyft vehicle or with a Lyft driver, recovering damages can be complex and challenging. Because of this, it is highly recommended that you seek help from an experienced West Palm Beach Lyft accident lawyer at Fetterman Law Our team knows the laws in proving fault and recovering compensation in rideshare accidents.
What Should You Do After Being Involved in a Lyft Accident in West Palm Beach?
All types of accidents are stressful and frightening. If you are involved in an accident with a Lyft driver or while in a Lyft vehicle in West Palm Beach, this is no different. After the accident happens, take these steps:
- Seek medical attention. It is important to ensure your injuries are treated, even if you believe they are minor.
- Contact law enforcement. In Florida, an accident that causes property damage or an injury needs to be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Take notes about what happened. Write down everything you can remember about the accident as soon as you can. Many people forget details days and even hours later. Write down information like the road conditions, location of the accident, time of day, and anything else you can remember.
- Take pictures. Having pictures of the damage and injuries, along with road conditions, will help when it comes to proving your case.
- Don’t sign anything. You should never speak to an insurance company representative or sign anything without talking to an attorney.
Florida’s Rules for Handling Lyft Accidents
In West Palm Beach (and all of Florida), people who drive for Lyft are regarded differently than other transportation providers. Based on Florida law, Lyft drivers must adhere to specific rideshare regulatory processes that determine who is liable in an accident.
In West Palm Beach, the way a rideshare accident is handled will depend on a few things, including:
- If you share all or some of the fault for the accident
- If there were passengers in your vehicle
- If the driver was logged into the Lyft app or waiting for a ride request at the time of the accident
Lyft requires that all drivers have personal auto insurance. The company also provides additional insurance coverage for any accident that occurs while drivers use their vehicle for ridesharing. Lyft has $1 million in insurance protection for drivers if an accident occurs. However, this insurance money is only available if the following is in place:
- The driver is logged into the app and waiting for a ride request
- The driver is on the way to pick up someone
- The driver has someone in the vehicle
If the Lyft driver is not engaged in any of these at the time of the accident, then the accident is not Lyft-related, and the company’s insurance does not come into play.
Statute of Limitations in West Palm Beach for Lyft Accident Claims
There is a statute of limitations in place, in the state of Florida, for rideshare-related accident claims. While there is no statute of limitations designed specifically for ridesharing accidents, there is a statute of limitations for all personal injury cases of four years. This means you must file your Lyft accident claim within four years of the collision.
What is Your West Palm Beach Lyft Accident Worth?
Several factors play into how much your Lyft accident case is worth. These factors include:
- The severity of your injuries
- All out-of-pocket costs, lost wages, and medical bills
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- If you can return to work and do the same job
- How the injury will impact your life in the long-term
It’s also important to consider how much insurance compensation is available to you. Since a Lyft driver is considered an independent contractor, their personal insurance coverage will be applied first. If they were driving for Lyft at the time of the accident, then Lyft’s coverage kicks in.
Don’t Wait to Hire a West Palm Beach Lyft Accident Lawyer
If you are involved in an accident while in a Lyft vehicle or with a Lyft driver, you have rights. If you want to protect your right to compensation, it is recommended that you get in touch with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. At Fetterman Law, we have years of experience with Lyft accidents and are ready to review your case and create a plan of action. Contact us today by calling 561-845-2510 to schedule a free consultation.