Florida is world-famous for its many large amusement parks and theme parks, which draw millions of visitors to the state every year with promises of adventure, excitement, and dreams come true. While most rides are reasonably safe, injuries do occur that can turn a fun-filled day into a horrifying event.
Florida’s major theme park companies, including Disney World, Universal Orlando, Seaworld, Legoland, Wet ‘n Wild, and Busch Gardens Tampa, file “occurrence reports” with the Florida Bureau of Fair Ride Inspection on a quarterly basis (SunSentinel). According to the Orlando Sentinel, Florida’s big theme parks reported 16 guest injuries during the first quarter of 2012, including 10 at Walt Disney World, four at Universal Orlando, and two at Legoland Florida.
The injuries at Disney World included:
- A 78-year-old man who had a heart attack after riding The Seas with Nemo & Friends.
- A 56-year-old man who had a heart attack while riding Mission: Space.
- A 36-year-old woman who had a seizure on Dinosaur.
- A 65-year-old woman who broke her hip and leg boarding the Prince Charming Regal Carousel.
- A 56-year-old woman who had chest pain on Soarin’ in Epcot.
- A 49-year-old woman who broke her leg boarding Space Mountain.
- A 75-year-old woman who had nausea and chest pain on Kilimanjaro Safaries.
- A 40-year-old woman who broke her fibula getting on Jungle Cruise.
- A 41-year-old man who had a seizure on Maelstrom.
At Universal Orlando, three of the four injuries reported involved motion sickness suffered aboard Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The other injury was suffered by a 62-year-old woman who sustained a head laceration on Carou-Seuss-el in Islands of Adventure. At Legoland, the two reported injuries included a 41-year old woman who tripped and lacerated her shin while exiting Fire Academy, and a 10-year-old boy whose foot was caught between the vehicle and unloading platform when he exited Lost Kingdom.
Seek Advice & Representation from an Experienced Florida Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one sustained an injury at a Florida amusement park, please contact Fetterman & Associates for a free initial consultation. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages, including medical expenses, property damage, and lost wages, from the theme park and its insurers. With offices in North Palm Beach and Port St. Lucie, we represent clients throughout southeast Florida in a wide variety of personal injury claims