Q: A close family member is in a nursing home and is not getting the treatment and care she deserves. What can we do?

A: Every nursing home has an Ombudsman and your family member, or their health surrogate should have been given information on who the Ombudsman for the facility is and how they can be contacted. The Ombudsman is a representative of the state of Florida whose job it is to try to resolve problems between the facility and its patients. If the issue cannot be resolved, you should file a complaint with the Ombudsman who can order an investigation. It is also your right to call an attorney.