There’s a big difference between finding just any personal injury lawyer and finding a good personal injury lawyer. If you’re injured and seeking compensation after an accident in Florida, you want nothing but the best on your side. And for that to happen, you must know the ins and outs of finding an experienced injury attorney in West Palm Beach with a track record of success who can manage your case from start to finish.
Steps to find a personal injury lawyer near me
There used to be a time when the best way to find a nearby personal injury lawyer was to scour your local phone book. While this is still an option, it’s far from the best place to start in today’s world.
Here are some of the better ways to find a reliable personal injury lawyer in Florida:
- Google reviews: A quick online search will turn up personal injury lawyers in your local area. You can then read reviews to better understand the experience that other clients have had with the law firm. You don’t need to believe everything you read, but it doesn’t hurt to skim these reviews for common themes.
- Client testimonials: Visit the website of any personal injury lawyer to read testimonials and learn more about their past case successes.
- Online legal directories: There is no shortage of these to consider, with Avvo, Justia, and Super Lawyers at the top of the list. In addition to a long list of attorneys in your area, you can also read attorney reviews on many of these sites.
- Referrals: Don’t be shy about asking family, friends, and co-workers if they have experience hiring a personal injury lawyer or know anyone who works in this field. There’s nothing better than a personal referral.
What makes a good personal injury lawyer?
While no two people take the exact same approach to finding and hiring a personal injury lawyer, there are some details that you must focus on.
Here are the qualities that make for a top-quality injury lawyer:
- Relevant experience
- Industry network & connections
- Robust legal knowledge
- Client empathy
Along with the above, here are some of the many things you should expect when working with a dependable personal injury lawyer:
- Efficient communication
- Clear terms and conditions, including attorney fees
- An ethical approach to your case strategy
And now, let’s examine some of the red flags of a bad personal injury lawyer:
- Poor communication
- Attempting to hide details, such as fees
- Unprofessional approach, such as in the manner in which they dress or speak
- No compassion for your situation
- Disrespectful to you and others
What is included in a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Florida?
Once you realize that you need to hire a personal injury lawyer, the next step is to schedule a free consultation. This allows you to learn more about the lawyer, their team, and the approach they’ll take with your case.
Generally speaking, a free consultation is a time for you to share information on your accident and the attorney to decide if they can assist you.
There are two things you should do as you prepare for a consultation:
- Make a list of questions
- Gather documentation, such as photos of the accident scene, photos of your injuries, witness information, a copy of the police report, and medical records
This is also the right time to discuss potential damages. These can include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income or wages
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Property damage
As noted above, you also want to ask questions during your free consultation. If you don’t know where to start, here are some questions to add to your list:
- Have you handled a similar case before?
- Who will pay for my medical bills and related expenses?
- What strategy will you use in my case?
- What are the possible outcomes?
- How long will the case take?
- What is your contingency fee percentage?
Some of these questions are more difficult to answer than others, but your attorney should be able to provide basic information to give you a better idea of what comes next.
Schedule a free consultation today with our West Palm Beach injury lawyers
At Fetterman & Associates, PA, our West Palm Beach personal injury lawyers have decades of experience helping injured individuals like you pursue the compensation they deserve after an accident. From motor vehicle accidents to premises liability cases, we know how to craft the ideal strategy for your case. With our legal team on your side, you’ll feel confident in your choice of attorneys. Contact us online or via phone at 561-983-4771 to set up a free consultation today.