A spinal cord injury causing paraplegia, quadriplegia, or other sensory or motor impairment, can result from a serious personal injury in a car or truck accident, motorcycle, bicycle or pedestrian accident, or other catastrophic injury brought about by the negligence or misconduct of another. These types of injuries to the central nervous system can create life-long disabilities and challenges to the accident victim.
Whether and to what extent the afflicted individual will be able to return to work or even manage his or her own daily care depends primarily on the level of injury suffered. Another essential factor, however, is the quality of care the individual receives following the injury; the right type of treatment and rehabilitation in the days and months following the injury can make all the difference in the patient’s future.
Choosing a Rehabilitation Hospital for Your Florida Spinal Cord Injury
The right facility may not be nearby, and a lot of research may need to be done to find the best facility for your needs. You can start by considering the options presented to you by your current health care provider, but you may also want to do some investigation of your own. Consider the following criteria/characteristics in choosing the right rehab facility for your injury and future needs:
- Facility regularly treats patients with the same type/level of spinal cord injury that you have
- Facility employs the type of health care professionals for your particular needs, such as physical therapists, occupational therapists, social workers, psychologists, neurologists, physiatrists, and as speech-language pathologists
- Facility is accredited in the specialty area related to your need (if applicable)
- Medical staff are experienced and have an established history at the facility
- Nursing staff maintain a reasonable caseload so they can provide quality care
- Number of patients being treated at facility is within hospital’s capabilities to provide quality care to each patient
- Know the qualifications and experience of the doctor who will be treating you as your primary physician
- The facility provides programs and services to patients’ families, including low-cost housing and transportation if necessary, and access to nearby dining, lodging, and shopping opportunities.
Choosing an Attorney for Your Florida Spinal Cord Injury
Just as choosing the right hospital is essential to your rehabilitation, choosing the right attorney is critical to recovering the compensation you need and deserve for your spinal cord injury. If you have suffered a spinal cord injury or other serious personal injury in an automobile accident or other type of accident in south Florida, contact Fetterman & Associates at our West Palm Beach or Port St. Lucie offices.
Also Read :