Motorcycle accidents can result in devastating injuries or fatalities, leaving victims and their families with significant physical, emotional, and financial burdens. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident in Boca Raton, it’s crucial to seek legal representation from experienced Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
At Fetterman & Associates, PA, we have a team of skilled attorneys dedicated to helping motorcycle accident victims, and their families get justice.
Contact our law firm for a free consultation if you need legal services after a motorcycle accident.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are approximately 28 times more likely to die in a crash than occupants of passenger vehicles per mile traveled. In 2019, 5,014 motorcyclists were killed in motor vehicle crashes, which accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities in the United States. Motorcycle fatalities increased by 9% from 4,594 in 2014 to 5,014 in 2019.
In Florida, motorcycle fatalities increased by 30% from 2009 to 2018, according to a report by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA). In 2018, 531 motorcyclists were killed in Florida, the highest number of motorcycle fatalities in the United States.
The GHSA report attributed the increase in motorcycle fatalities to several factors, including a lack of helmet use, impaired driving, speeding, and distracted driving.
Florida has specific laws that govern the operation of motorcycles. These laws are designed to protect riders and passengers and reduce the number of motorcycle accidents. Some of the most important motorcycle laws in Florida include:
- Helmet Law: All motorcycle riders and passengers must wear a helmet that meets the standards set by the Department of Transportation.
- Eye Protection: Riders must wear eye protection, such as goggles or a face shield unless the motorcycle has a windscreen.
- Handlebars: The height of handlebars cannot be higher than the height of the rider’s shoulders.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting, which is riding a motorcycle between traffic lanes or rows of vehicles, is illegal in Florida.
- Passenger Footrests: If a motorcycle is designed to carry a passenger, it must have passenger footrests.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can occur due to various reasons, including:
Distracted driving is a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. Drivers texting, eating, or talking on the phone while driving can easily miss motorcycles, which can result in accidents. Motorcyclists can also become distracted while riding, such as adjusting the radio, GPS, or phone, which can cause accidents.
Speeding is another common cause of motorcycle accidents. Motorcycles are more vulnerable to high-traffic accidents due to their smaller size and less stability than other vehicles. Excessive speed can make it difficult for riders to control their bikes, respond to obstacles or road conditions, and avoid accidents.
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can impair a driver’s judgment, reaction time, and vision, leading to accidents. Impaired driving is a significant risk factor for motorcycle accidents, as it can make it harder for drivers to detect motorcycles, judge their speed, and maintain a safe distance.
Lane Change Accidents
Lane change accidents occur when drivers don’t check their blind spots or signal before changing lanes, which can cause accidents with motorcycles. Motorcycles are smaller and more difficult to see than cars, which makes it essential for drivers to remain alert and take precautions when changing lanes.
Left Turn Accidents
Left turn accidents occur when drivers make left turns in front of motorcycles, as it’s harder to see a motorcycle than a car due to its smaller size. Drivers who fail to yield to motorcyclists when making left turns can cause severe accidents, resulting in serious injuries or fatalities. Motorcyclists should remain vigilant and anticipate drivers who may turn left in front of them.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can result in severe and life-threatening injuries, such as:
- Head and Brain Injuries: Riders without helmets are at a higher risk of head and brain injuries, which can cause permanent damage or even death.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Motorcycle accidents can result in severe spinal cord injuries that can cause paralysis and lifelong disabilities.
- Road Rash: When a rider’s body slides along the pavement after an accident, it can result in road rash, which is a type of skin abrasion that can cause severe pain, scarring, and infection.
- Broken Bones: Motorcycle accidents can cause fractures or broken bones in different parts of the body, including the arms, legs, and ribs.
- Internal Injuries: Motorcycle accidents can also result in internal injuries, such as internal bleeding, organ damage, or punctured lungs.
How to Prove Negligence in a Motorcycle Accident Case
To prove negligence in a motorcycle accident case, the victim must show that the other party breached their duty of care and that breach caused their injuries and damages. Some of the ways to prove negligence in a motorcycle accident case include the following:
Collecting evidence is crucial in proving negligence in a motorcycle accident case. Evidence can include photographs, witness statements, police reports, and medical records. Evidence collection can be challenging for victims, especially if they are injured or recovering from their injuries.
Florida follows the principle of comparative negligence, which means that the amount of compensation the victim receives is reduced by the percentage of their fault in the accident. Comparative negligence can make it more challenging for victims to obtain fair compensation, as insurance companies may try to shift more of the blame onto the victim.
Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging for motorcycle accident victims. Insurance companies may try to deny or undervalue claims, delay payment, or shift more of the blame onto the victim.
How Our Law Firm Can Help
At Fetterman & Associates, PA, we understand the devastating impact motorcycle accidents can have on victims and their families. Our experienced Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers are dedicated to helping clients obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries and damages. We provide personalized attention to each client and work tirelessly to build a strong case on their behalf.
Our law firm can help in several ways, including:
- Investigation: Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate the accident, collect evidence, and work with expert witnesses to build a strong case.
- Negotiation: Our attorneys will negotiate with insurance companies and other parties to obtain a fair settlement for our clients.
- Litigation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, our attorneys will take the case to court and fight for our client’s rights.
Contact Our Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers for Help with Your Case
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident in Boca Raton, it’s crucial to seek legal representation from experienced Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
At Fetterman & Associates, PA, we have the skills, knowledge, and experience to handle complex motorcycle accident cases and get our clients the justice they deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.