Florida is known as the sunshine state, but did you know it’s also home to three of the top twenty deadliest interstate stretches? The number one most deadly interstate unfortunately runs through Florida as well, Interstate 95.
Interstates are usually one of the safest places to drive because all of the traffic flows in one direction, but that’s not always the case. Nonetheless, there are a few causes of interstate and highway accidents that frequently repeat themselves. Whether you have been involved in a small accident or a severe one, a car accident lawyer in West Palm Beach can help.
Find out more about car accident law by clicking here.
Many of the causes of highway and interstate accidents are similar to accidents on other roadways, but they end up being much more serious.
Common causes of highway and interstate accidents include:
1. Drowsy Driving: Drivers often end up on highways and interstates for hours at a time, which makes them prime targets for drowsy driving.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving is responsible for approximately 100,000 crashes every year. Mixing the delayed reaction time with high speeds is a deadly combination.
2. Reckless or Careless Driving: The most common cause of accidents in Florida is reckless or careless driving. It is also the third-highest state for reckless driving. This could be because of the many visitors that travel to Florida every year.
After driving for long periods of time, drivers typically become more careless and end up speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, becoming impatient or simply not paying attention.
3. Weather Conditions: Although Florida does not have problems with snow and ice generally, other weather conditions can also cause accidents on the interstate. Fog and rain can cause accidents, particularly if drivers are going faster than is appropriate for the weather. Weather conditions can cause pile-ups quickly, resulting in serious injuries and property damage.
4. Night Time Driving: Because interstate driving happens at all hours, seeing in the dark can be an issue for some drivers. You also have to contend with trucks and other commercial vehicles that do heavier traveling at night. Nighttime driving not only inhibits sight, it also encourages drowsy driving.
5. Unsafe Lane Changes: In high traffic areas, like Interstate 95 going through the major parts of Southern Florida, lane changes can be extremely dangerous.
You might also have problems with those who are trying to get over quickly to get to an exit. Sudden lane changes are dangerous for everyone on the road, and can cause pile-ups.
Interstate 95 runs right next to Palm Beach, and through some of the major portions of South Florida. Unfortunately, it is also home to some of the most deadly accidents in Florida.
Below are a couple examples:
Interstate accidents often require immediate medical attention and a good car accident lawyer. Be sure that your injuries are treated, and then call a car accident lawyer in West Palm Beach as soon as possible.
Visit here to learn more about how an experienced car accident lawyer can help you after your accident.
Fetterman & Associates, PA is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and all applicable website standards including WCAG 2.0. It does not discriminate on the basis of disability. If you have any issues observing the content of this website, please contact us. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made.